Arriving at the momentous decision to pursue a divorce is typically not an easy process for most people. That's largely because they must not only deal with a host of conflicting emotions, but also ponder how the next post-divorce chapter of their life might look.
Relationships, especially those between spouses, are often extremely complex. Years of history and experiences, both the good and bad, often serve to keep spouses together. While traditional marriage vows include the promise of being by a spouse's side, "for better or worse," when the bad times begin to consistently outweigh the good, it may be time to explore one's options.
When you get married, you and your spouse combine your lives together. What this looks like is dependent on the couple, but many end up blending families, friendships and finances. All too often though, it's this last one -- the finances -- that end up leading to trouble in the marriage.
For unwed parents, we've previously discussed the importance of establishing paternity. For a mother, having a signed Recognition of Parentage means that she can file for child support and obtain financial assistance in raising a child. For an unwed father, taking steps to establish paternity and sign a ROP means that he is legally recognized as a child's father. A signed ROP does not, however, automatically grant a father any child custody rights.
One thing that can be of great importance in a divorce is having an accurate valuation of assets. One reason this is the case is that asset value generally plays a big role in property division matters.
For many residents in and around the Twin Cities metropolitan area, family is very important. Increasingly, the compositions of today’s families are very different from those of 40 or more years ago. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 40 percent of children who are born in the U.S. are born to unmarried women. With these kinds of changes to the traditional family structure, come certain legal challenges related to numerous various family law issues.
Throughout history; painters, writers and musicians have used their art as a means to express their thoughts and feelings about love and falling in and out of love. Scientists now understand that there is an actual chemical reaction that occurs within an individual's brain when he or she is falling in love.
The word divorce usually conjures one of two emotions for many people. On the one side, people associate the word with hurt feelings and a contentious separation. For others though, divorce conjures feelings of relief and freedom. Regardless of this difference in feeling, both sides will agree that there is at least one thing they have in common when it comes to divorce: we all have questions about how the process will work.
According to statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau, as of 2012, roughly 47 percent of U.S. adults over the age of 18 were not married. Of single U.S. adults, nearly 40 percent are divorced while the remaining 60 percent have never been married. Statistics from 2011 show that an estimated 12 percent of adult U.S. couples who live together are not married.
For any parent, divorce presents many questions and concerns about the wellbeing and living arrangements of a shared child. Even in cases where divorcing parents are on good terms, matters related to child custody are highly emotional and stressful. Parents ultimately want what's best for their child and also want to protect a child from experiencing unnecessary pain and heartache.