Making Changes To Divorce Decrees In Minnesota

Divorce decrees that meet the needs of both parties and their children at the outset might need to be changed at some point in the future. There are many reasons why someone might want to modify all or part of the original terms of the decree. However, a judge will require substantial documentation showing why the modification request should be granted.

Our lawyers at the Minneapolis law firm of GROSHEK LAW PA take a holistic view of family law and divorce matters. We will help with your modification request, taking all of your unique circumstances into account.

How Do I Modify My Divorce Decree?

Many people want to know if they have to change all or just some of the provisions of their divorce decree provisions during a modification. Depending upon what is going on in your life, we will ask the judge to modify only as much as is needed to bring the terms into alignment with your situation. The most common parts of a decree that clients need to modify are custody and visitation schedules, child support and spousal maintenance or alimony.

In extreme situations, we may need to modify several related terms if they are all dependent upon your income, health or physical location, for example.

For What Reasons Would A Judge Consider A Reasonable Modification Request?

Often, people face changes in life that interfere with their ability to comply with divorce terms. Job-related changes and health problems are the two major reasons people are forced to request a change. For example:

  • A parent who loses a job may have to seek a temporary reduction in the amount of money he or she pays for child support or spousal support.
  • If a parent becomes incapacitated due to a car accident or another kind of accident, it is likely that he or she will not be able to work, even part time.
  • Sometimes, a parent will be offered a promotion in another state or country. If you would like to take your children with you when you move, you will need judicial approval to do so.
  • If you accept such a position, you may prefer to leave the children in their school and see them during holidays and summer breaks. Working out a modified visitation schedule around the school year requires court approval, even if your ex-spouse agrees to the change.
  • If a parent is convicted of a crime and goes to prison, custody and visitation schedules will change. If the crime is for an act of violence, abuse or neglect of the children, the convicted parent will likely have to request permission to resume visitation after serving time.

To learn more about post-decree modifications and our family law practice at GROSHEK LAW PA, call us at 612-426-7047 or send us an email to request a consultation with one of our attorneys.


More In This Section

  • Family Law 100% 100%

Why Hire Us?

At Groshek Law PA, each client is viewed as an individual, not a legal problem.


We start with a proactive approach through mutual education.


We expect the unexpected, so we are always prepared.


Our attorneys adhere to the Highest Professional Standard.