We are essential, and so are you! Our firm is still open for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. We also have masks available upon request if you need to visit the office. Please call our office to discuss your options.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Professional License Revocation
  4.  » Protecting your Minnesota daycare provider license

Protecting your Minnesota daycare provider license

| May 17, 2021 | Professional License Revocation

Complaints against your licensed Minnesota daycare center can result in sanctions such as fines, suspension and even revocation of your child care provider license. You have the right to defend yourself against the loss of your livelihood.

Review the possible sanctions and steps to take if your daycare center is under state investigation.

Correction order

When the Minnesota Department of Human Services finds a violation at your center, the agency will issue a correction order. You will have a certain amount of time to either correct the issue and reach compliance or ask for reconsideration of the correction order.

Negative action

Serious issues bypass a correction order and go straight to a negative action. For example, a substantiated case of maltreatment of a child can result in fines, license suspension or license revocation. Your center may also receive a negative action after repeated correction orders. If DHS detects an immediate risk of harm to children in the care of the center, you may receive a temporary immediate suspension pending an investigation.

Appeals and reconsideration

After receiving a correction order or negative action, you have the right to file an appeal and ask DHS to reconsider the sanctions against your daycare center. You also have the right to legal representation throughout this process.

When you receive a sanction, it will include the appeal instructions, which vary depending on the circumstances. Generally, you must file a request for reconsideration in writing and include documents that support your claim. The agency will then respond in writing to either reaffirm or reverse the action.