When noncustodial parents refuse to pay child support

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2016 | Child Support

Most Minnesota parents understand that if they have primary or sole physical custody of their children, they are entitled to child support from the noncustodial parent. The child support payments help to pay for the costs of raising the children. In order to receive child support from the noncustodial parent, however, the custodial parent must first locate them in order to get the process started. If the noncustodial parent is avoiding their financial responsibility, this could be difficult.

In order to identify a parent, knowing certain personal information is extremely helpful. This information can include the parent’s Social Security number, the child’s birth certificate and a copy of the child support order. Additional information, like past and present workplace and residence information can also be useful, as can the noncustodial parent’s friends and families members. If the parent can be identified, the state may use tactics to get the child support owed. This may include garnishing wages and withholding state benefits.

If a parent is on the run, states may use billboards or websites to list a photo of the parent, provide the name and how much they owe. If the noncustodial parent is in another state, parents often must hire a private investigator to find them or do the investigative work themselves.

It can be difficult for a single parent to shoulder the cost of raising a child. If the parent has a child support order but the noncustodial parent refuses to pay what is owed, a family law attorney may help by going to court and seeking an appropriate method of enforcement.