We are essential, and so are you! Our firm is still open for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. We also have masks available upon request if you need to visit the office. Please call our office to discuss your options.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Court reduces child support payments for Amanda Stanton’s ex

Court reduces child support payments for Amanda Stanton’s ex

| Nov 23, 2016 | Divorce

Minnesota fans of “Bachelor in Paradise 2016” might know that one of its stars, Amanda Stanton, has recently had a change in the child support she receives from her ex-husband, Nick Buonfiglio. Stanton and Buonfiglio have two daughters and divorced in 2015.

Stanton claimed that Buonfiglio was not there for the children and that she had to care for them herself. Buonfiglio wanted more time with the children and less in child support. He also objected to the children being in the public eye.

When the two divorced, Stanton claimed her income was $100 annually. At that time, Buonfiglio was ordered to pay $2,000 each month in child support. However, Buonfiglio returned to court to ask that the payments be reduced on the grounds that he is having financial difficulty and Stanton is making more money. Reportedly, her income is now about $13,000 per month while the income of her partner, Josh Murray, is around $10,000 per month. The court agreed that Buonfiglio’s child support payments should be modified, and the amount was reduced to $530 per month.

Usually, in a divorce, the noncustodial parent pays support to the custodial parent. If the parent paying support has financial issues or other significant life changes that affects their ability to continue paying the same amount, they must go to court and request a modification. If they simply stop paying, they will continue to owe the same amount of money, and interest may accumulate as well. A parent who is not receiving the child support they are supposed to can also go through legal channels to collect the support. There are a number of penalties associated with failure to pay support, and a person’s wages might be garnished.