We are essential, and so are you! Our firm is still open for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. We also have masks available upon request if you need to visit the office. Please call our office to discuss your options.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » What happens after paternity is established?

What happens after paternity is established?

| Apr 6, 2015 | Family Law

For unwed parents, we’ve previously discussed the importance of establishing paternity. For a mother, having a signed Recognition of Parentage means that she can file for child support and obtain financial assistance in raising a child. For an unwed father, taking steps to establish paternity and sign a ROP means that he is legally recognized as a child’s father. A signed ROP does not, however, automatically grant a father any child custody rights.

After paternity is legally established, barring additional legal action on the part of the father, the mother still retains sole legal and physical custody of a child. A father who wishes to gain child custody must “ask the court for an order.”

Paternity isn’t a guarantee that child custody will be granted. Rather, the court will review a case to determine what is believes to be in a child’s best interest. In most cases, however, the court attempts to provide a father and child with the opportunity to spend time together and establish a bond by granting parenting time.

When determining specifics related to parenting time, the court will consider factors like a child’s age, his or her relationship with a father and a father’s mental and physical health. The court may then provide a specific schedule for parenting time that parents must follow or grant what’s referred to as reasonable parenting time which allows parents to work together to come up with a schedule.

Orders related to parenting time can be modified to meet the best interests of a child. In cases involving allegations of substance abuse or domestic violence, additional legal action may be taken to restrict or provide for supervised parenting time.

Source: LawHelpMN.org, “Rights and Responsibilities of Unmarried Parents,” April 3, 2015