Making Changes to a Divorce Decree in Minnesota

Divorce decrees that meet the needs of both parties and their children at the outset might need to be changed at some point in the future. There are many reasons why someone might want to modify all or part of the original terms of the decree. However, a judge will require substantial documentation showing why the modification request should be granted.

Groshek Law can represent you in your modification request. For a free consultation with an attorney to discuss your concerns, contact us today at 888-721-1056 or online.

Would I Need to Modify All the Terms of the Divorce Decree or Only a Certain Part of It?

Depending upon what is going on in your life, we will ask the judge to modify as much as is needed to bring the terms into alignment with your situation. The most common parts of a decree that clients need to modify are custody and visitation schedules, child support and spousal maintenance or alimony.

In extreme situations, we may need to modify several related terms if they are all dependent upon your income, health or physical location, for example.

For What Reasons Would a Judge Consider a Reasonable Modification Request?

Often, people face changes in life that prevent or interfere with their ability to comply with divorce terms. Job-related changes and health problems are the two major reasons people are forced to request a change, for example:

  • A parent who loses a job may have to seek a temporary reduction in the amount of money he or she pays for child support or spousal support.
  • If a parent becomes incapacitated due to a car accident or another kind of accident, it is likely that he or she will not be able to work, even part time.
  • Sometimes, a parent will be offered a promotion in another state or country. If you would like to take your children with you when you move, you will need judicial approval to do so.
  • If you accept such a position, you may prefer to leave the children in their school and see them during holidays and summer breaks. Working out a modified visitation schedule around the school year requires court approval, even if your ex-spouse agrees to the change.
  • If a parent is convicted of a crime and goes to prison, custody and visitation schedules will change. If the crime is for an act of violence, abuse or neglect of the children, the convicted parent will likely have to request permission to resume visitation after serving time.

To learn more about post decree modifications and Groshek Law's family law practice in Minneapolis, contact a lawyer at 612-424-5829 or toll free at 888-721-1056.