December 2017 Archives

Estate planning continues after the death of a spouse

For people in Minnesota concerned about the future of their homes, a detailed estate plan can be an essential part of planning for homeownership. Many couples own their homes as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, meaning that each person will take on the full ownership of the property if the other passes away. This is a particularly common form of shared property for married couples as it allows many families' primary asset to transfer without engaging the home in probate, protecting both parties' interest in the home.

Two main things that people want to bequeath

Minnesota residents who are thinking about what they would like to leave for future generations might be able to learn lessons from a morality play from the 15th century called "Everyman". While the story is meant to discuss the importance of salvation, it also illustrates the two primary things that people want to leave behind for their loved ones.

Going paperless may cause difficult in estate planning

In Minnesota and across the country, society has begun moving away from paper and has started doing a majority of interaction and personal business online. While it may make day-to-day business easier, it can make things difficult when it comes to handling an estate after a person passes away.

Supreme Court will determine overreaching claim in a tax case

As many in Minnesota know, a number of crimes are associated with filing a tax return. It can be a crime to willfully fail to file a return, knowingly file a fraudulent return and obstruct justice during an investigation. However, the Supreme Court will now determine whether destroying business records without an ongoing investigation or audit can be considered obstruction of justice.

Illegally obtained evidence

A person charged with a crime in Minnesota is protected by both state and federal constitutional rights. The Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Amendments apply to illegally obtained evidence. If someone believes that his or her constitutional rights were violated, the appropriate remedy is to file a motion to suppress the evidence.

We Can Help. Contact Us.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Groshek Law PA
302 N 10th Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Phone: 612-424-5829
Phone: 612-424-5829
Minneapolis Law Office Map

Call for a consultation