When noncustodial parents refuse to pay child support

Most Minnesota parents understand that if they have primary or sole physical custody of their children, they are entitled to child support from the noncustodial parent. The child support payments help to pay for the costs of raising the children. In order to receive child support from the noncustodial parent, however, the custodial parent must first locate them in order to get the process started. If the noncustodial parent is avoiding their financial responsibility, this could be difficult.

In order to identify a parent, knowing certain personal information is extremely helpful. This information can include the parent's Social Security number, the child's birth certificate and a copy of the child support order. Additional information, like past and present workplace and residence information can also be useful, as can the noncustodial parent's friends and families members. If the parent can be identified, the state may use tactics to get the child support owed. This may include garnishing wages and withholding state benefits.

If a parent is on the run, states may use billboards or websites to list a photo of the parent, provide the name and how much they owe. If the noncustodial parent is in another state, parents often must hire a private investigator to find them or do the investigative work themselves.

It can be difficult for a single parent to shoulder the cost of raising a child. If the parent has a child support order but the noncustodial parent refuses to pay what is owed, a family law attorney may help by going to court and seeking an appropriate method of enforcement.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Can Help. Contact Us.

Tell us about your case. Bold labels are required.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy



We start with a proactive approach through mutual education.

Note book


We expect the unexpected, so we are always prepared.



Our attorneys not only look professional but we adhere to the Highest Professional Standard.

  • Experienced Attorneys
  • Prepped For Trial
  • Attacked With The Groshek Method
Why Hire Us Learn More

Groshek Law PA
302 N 10th Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Phone: 612-426-7047
Minneapolis Law Office Map

Groshek Law PA

Call for a consultation

Non-interactive Map of Groshek's Minneapolis Law Firm