Cohabitation Agreements in Minnesota

Many couples choose to live together and make investments in assets together without considering how things would be divided if they end the relationship. It will be important to know the value of the assets purchased to fairly divide them.

Our attorney will help you determine the financial value of your relationship and how to separate it fairly. Understanding cohabitation law is important when determining who gets what. Call us at 888-721-1056 or 612-424-5829 or contact us online to schedule a free one-hour initial consultation.

Helping Nonmarried Couples Determine an Equitable Division of Their Property

When necessary, we work with valuation experts and forensic accountants to locate property and determine the value of your investments and property that you have accumulated during your marriage, including:

  • Real property such as your primary home, any second or vacation homes or investment real estate owned by a business
  • Personal, but jointly owned property such as furniture, appliances, jewelry or even pets
  • Cars and recreational equipment
  • Repair, construction or remodeling expenses for real and personal property
  • If one or both of you attended school during your relationship and the value that may have contributed to your relationship
  • The impact of educational expenses on the other's finances

We will help you gather receipts and determine what your share of the responsibility was so you can figure out what a fair division of your assets is.

Minneapolis Attorney Dealing With Property Division for Nonmarried Couples

Minnesota does not recognize "common law" marriages. In these marriages, couples living together for a certain length of time would be considered legally married. If they separated, their property would be divided as if they had a civil marriage.

Having a cohabitation agreement can save a lot of trouble if your relationship comes to an end. Laying out a plan to handle the division of your investments in each other's lives, your home and your overall assets is a good precautionary measure, even if you hope never to use it.

Our lawyer understands how to draw up these agreements so that they will hold up in court if it ever comes to that. Call Groshek Law at 888-721-1056 to learn more about our family law services for nonmarried couples.